Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Eureka Springs, Arkansas - I Live Here


As far as small quirky towns go, Eureka Springs, Arkansas has them all beat. Located in the heart of the Ozark Mountains you might expect a town full of hillbillies. You couldn't be further from the truth. The residents of this town are as odd as the town itself. I include myself in the oddballs of this town.

The town was established sometime around 1881. On the surface it is a quaint Victorian village. Digging deeper you find that it is a community full of artists and craftsman. There are tons of Art Galleries and retail shops all through down town.

I moved here the first time in 1994. It was a busy time then. The economy was booming and tourism was up. The local newspaper was full of want ads and very few places for rent. A lot has changed since those days. The economy is down and there are three times as many for rend ads as help wanted but the charm is still the same.

One of the main reasons I moved here is because I wanted to be an artist. I wanted to work with metal and make chainmail. I have worked many jobs here in the years I have been here. Some jobs I hated and some I loved. I even became a master stone mason while working here.  I love being here making my art. I can hardly imagine a better place to live and I have lived many places all over the United States.

If you ever make it near North West Arkansas, stop by my little town and see for yourself how cool it is. See how it does not seem like you are in Arkansas at all. It is a place all to its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment